Sunday 24 January 2016

True Colours


Imagine running a 5 km course with 7,199 others and having powder paint chucked at you from all angles every kilometre. I thought of rainbows, the Care Bears and Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. My number 2167 not a burden and the colours a blessing not a curse for me, unlike the handmaids in Margaret Atwood's brilliant dystopian tale. The glittering gold HAPPY tattoo lasted a whole week on my left forearm, even after bathing. Good job I didn't stick it on my forehead. The 80's style headband held that position. Dirtbag ran with a friend so I selfie-stuck with mine. She emerged from the green powder paint explosion ahead of me, looking like Princess Fiona from Shrek.
''Hello darling!'' I shouted to her before also becoming an alter-ego ogre. It certainly was the #Happiest5k I had ever run. The photo is very amusing to me as Ellie didn't know what the sign said until after the picture had been taken. Read it and weep penitent tears beloved daughter of mine.

The green theme continues with my healthy breakfast smoothie. Feeling very virtuous, I suck it up a straw first, before gulping the rest down with my eyes closed. It's really quite pleasant, although at one point I gag thinking I am swallowing a large lump of snot until I realise it is actually a blob of unblended banana. I'm being sensible and only having this swamp juice thing twice a week depending on the availability of fresh kale in the desert.


Some colours have changed for me as I am no longer childminding and the three green-eyed, jealous monsters of mine have my full attention again (well, sometimes).
For one day only, Dirtbag flew off to Dubai for another Cross Country event as I sent my first ever tweet. I thought how appropriate it was having just published The Singing Tree poem. My head may be full of birdsong but my mental torment continues as I spend hours agonising over the editing and layout of my blog, only to find it all changes on the handheld device. The video I rotated and stressed over won't even play in my palm. How will my forthcoming sonnet fare? Shakespeare did not suffer so much with his simple parchment and quill.

'' 'You don't know what courage you possess until you are called to show it,' he had replied. 'You are the bravest of women. Wherever you are, here or in the UK, it doesn't matter; you will remain brave. You represent all the women of this island to me.' ''

Kunal speaking to Sita in Brixton Beach by Roma Tearne.

I hope you are Happy; although it is impossible to be all the time. If you are Bashful, Grumpy, Sleepy, Dopey, Sneezy and need to see a Doc or two, just accept that's the way it is at the moment. Know that feelings and circumstances can and will change for you. Be brave. Live for now.

'' So don't be afraid to let them show 
  your true colours 
  true colours are beautiful
 like a rainbow ''

Sorry Cyndi, but I have to type colours the correct way otherwise I feel sick and distressed like I do when spinach gets stuck in my teeth. That is why I can't write The Color Run. Agh, multi-coloured vomit is coming your way now!

In sympathy and with respect for Bowie, Let's Dance. Continue to enjoy some spellbinding magic with Professor Snape and keep flying on eagles' wings with Frey.

Take it easy,
With Love xx



The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (1985)
True Colors by Cyndi Lauper (1986)

Reading: Gertrude Bell: Queen of the Desert by Georgina Howell
Writing: A sonnet
Listening, singing & dancing to: The High Road (2009), Holding On For Life (2013) and After the Disco (2014) by the brilliant Broken Bells. Their videos are really engaging, intriguing and cool in my humble opinion.
Watched: Gravity (2013) and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (2011)

               

Dead
Alive
                                                                                                     







No comments:

Post a Comment