Sunday 11 January 2015

Metamorphic melancholic

The old, sometimes holey clothes I wear, know how to fit comfortably on my skin. They hang, mould or glide across the contours of my body. Like good friends they don't need to try hard to feel right, they are free, just to be.
I have not had my hair cut since last August, possibly due to the then near rape of my auburn locks. Eleanor recently remarked, much to my delight, that I look like a homeless person. I prefer to look and see that this is me. Happy, hippy Susie in her enlightened writing state. Not weighed down by the constraints of fashion or style but wandering through this desert wilderness, just as Catherine roamed the moors with Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights.
This was Emily Bronte's only novel. Could I too join the Literary Canon as a one hit wonder?

Writing really helps me to stay sane. It's the only thing I can control in my life. I've decided it's better than talking to myself. Especially as I frequently try to engage with our teenager, getting a stony silence at best or a cutting remark at worst as can be seen in the following scene.

Intro
Joshua is asleep, husband out playing football.
Centre stage Susie is happily eating some crisps whilst attempting to watch Eyes Wide Shut (interesting choice)

Action
Eleanor enters stage right

Susie pauses the film at which point Tom and Nicole are dressed in their posh evening wear (no holes) dancing together. Not too freaky at this point. Phew!

Eleanor berates Susie for eating crisps with the sharpness of the apple vinegar seasoning the crunchy potato slices.
 'You're not going to get fit eating those are you?'  She flounces back off stage right. Hopefully to the wings of her bed.

Susie swallows the sour comment and tries not to choke. She presses play and gets drunk with Nicole.

Probably to be continued!

The next evening Josh and I lay together on his bottom bunk, staring up at the glow in the dark stars he has stuck underneath the top bunk. We count them and find different lines of three stars and almost glimpse Orion's Belt.
Three hours later, 10 pm here, I venture outside, lie on the cold flags and gaze up at the real stars above me. I send a kiss to my niece Harriett and nephew Freddie. The stars twinkle, twinkle back at me and wonder what I am doing below on the hard ground. I smile back as brightly as I can reassuring them I am OK, hoping the benefits of my Colgate Advanced Whitening toothpaste can reach that far.


Remember: 'Good friends are like stars, you don't have to see them to know they are there.'
                                                                                                                           Christy Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment