Sunday 18 January 2015

Creative Challenges

I am really pleased that my blog is now linked to Nigel's Facebook page. It has really helped my audience grow. I am still resisting the temptation to join myself for fear of addiction. I do spy on you sometimes when Nigel is connecting and occasionally leave a random comment. As you will have noticed I selfishly relish rambling on for much longer than a couple of sentences. I will always prefer face to face friendship, wrinkles, spots, warts and all, but I do understand the different ways we need to connect and respect that. This blog is my way of connecting and I realise it's quite self indulgent. You don't have to read me, but I'm glad if you do.

I find the ideas and words come quickly, but the editing drives me mad. I spend ages checking my grammar and punctuation only to publish the post then notice a glaring mistake. Agh! I had heart palpitations when I realised I had missed the 'o' off  Paulo Coelho's beautiful name. I have since obtained a free grammar checking download to assist me. It is the technical part of writing that I find hard as I strive for perfection. In all things, I recognise I will never be perfect.

I've challenged myself to write a stream of consciousness piece (James Joyce)  and publish it. I challenge you to have a go too. All you need is a pencil or pen and a piece of paper. You literally write down 'what's on your mind,' just as it comes to you. Don't do this after a big argument and do it whilst sober. Consider the consequences carefully if you choose to share it with anyone. Don't worry about grammar or punctuation, just write, you may surprise yourself. I wrote the following in 4 minutes non-stop and it's not edited in any way. Here it comes, gulp!

' Say something, say something anything,' James I really love your lyrics. Words mean a lot to me the ones said and meant. The thoughts in my head are 'alive and kicking,' no mind is simple. Listen to your thoughts, 'listen to your heart when it's talking to you,' I've forgotten who sang that? Maybe it will come rushing back to me soon. 'How soon is now,' pops into my head. Soon enough I suppose. My freshly sharpened pencil glides smoothly over this page. Will anyone ever read it? Does it really matter anyway? Like all the diaries I have ever kept, they were really to sort out my own thoughts and desires. Personal property. I don't really want fame or fortune but I do want to speak the truth. The truth hurts sometimes but in the hurting we are healed. Have I always known this?

Another obvious example of why I have to spend ages editing.

I beseeched the night sky to let me see Comet Lovejoy but he didn't appear. I did, however, share the joy of seeing a small stingray in the shallow sea thanks to some sharp-eyed desert dwelling friends. I also watched Shakespeare in Love (1998) as the perfect antidote to Eyes Wide Shut.

'O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?' No reply.

'Alas, I fear I shalt not see him as he is over yonder sand dune playing golf again.'



No comments:

Post a Comment