Sunday 23 May 2021

Walking Home with an unexpected special guest appearance


I began to feel the strong urge around the middle of the week. By the time Friday arrived it became a compulsion and so I sensibly prepared by pacing myself throughout the school day. Walking home is something I really enjoy and can take up to two hours but is so worth it as it's such a lovely route with beautiful views. It's mostly uphill for the first hour with birdsong, sheep and lambs for company. Feeling a bit weary as I approached The Golden Cock, I considered stopping for a swift half by myself but decided against it. No rest for the wicked and upon reflection a brilliant decision. Up to this point I had only encountered five people, two of those were at a distance, which meant that I had only chatted to three other humans in the last hour.

My cheeks were naturally a bit flushed and thank heavens I was wearing my best bra. Did even my underwear drawer have some psychic powers that fine morning? I was proudly wearing my purple school T. shirt with its badge hovering over my properly supported left breast; Victoria Tower and the rainbow moving in natural rhythm with every step I made. Having changed into some comfy flowery trousers and walking boots at work, shouldering my rucksack and carrying a Co-op plastic bag with my school trousers and shoes inside, I was merrily on the straight and narrow as the landscape flattened a little at this stage.

There is NO WAY upon earth that I was expecting what happened next.

As you already know I only need glasses for reading and the optometrist said my long vision is very good. Spotting a couple up ahead walking towards me along the thin path, I had already decided that I would step aside to let them pass when we got too close for comfort. Do not fear fellow travellers, I have gratefully received both of my vaccinations. 

We were fast approaching a chance meeting on a collision course seemingly set by fate herself.

They walked nearer,

I stepped closer. 

They continued, 

so did I. 

As we gravitated towards one another

they came into clear focus. 

OH MY!

My face erupted into a gigantic grin when I recognised it was none other than my local literary hero and travelling companion, (possibly his wife). Here is a transcript of our brief encounter:

Susie: All Hail Poet Laureate (in a sing-song voice with a hand sweeping flourish)

Simon & companion: both snigger/laugh at me

Susie: I always hoped that I would bump into you again someday around here.

Simon: (smiling) It's a dream come true.

Susie: (also smiling) It is! (raising both arms above her head in elation)

I complete the second hour of my walk home in audible giggles and bouts of laughter. There is always a million things I could have said but I think I handled it pretty well this time. I'm proud of my minimal communication with my literary hero and his companion. I have met him a few times after various poetry readings/book signings and also in the local record shop (read my Poet DJ in motion blogpost for more). It was beyond brilliant to bump into him again though, especially out in the fields, in nature, at the end of another busy and tiring week at work. Just the inspiration I needed to fuel the writing, to keep persevering, to keep believing. Simon Armitage's future ignited when he won a poetry competition and this is what I cling onto when I need extra courage, or a spark of faith in my own scribblings.

After all, it really does seem that dreams can come true.

With love xx

PS Keep walking


No comments:

Post a Comment