Tuesday 28 June 2016

Qaexit!

                                           SOLD: One red fire engine                                                       

It is almost over and has lasted five years. So much has happened lately that I want to write about, so I don't forget any part of this adventure. When I am an old lady I will read my blog and chuckle to myself. Will technology be easier for old people to access in another forty years or so? Telepathy could be good fun.

It was so great to see Joshua receive the Sports Performer of The Year award for Key Stage 2. It was the last presentation of the evening, and all our heartbeats simultaneously increased when the head of P.E mentioned that the winner of this award had worked hard to control his inner aggression. Mini-Me looked so happy and proud holding his first ever trophy on the stage.

Despite it being the Holy Month of Ramadan many social gatherings have taken place, including a brilliant alternative version of the game show Blankety Blank. The host was excellent and should he ever decide to give up his day job, I see a bright future ahead of him as an events organiser or real life game show host. There were some cleverly crafted, alternative song lyrics, which were performed with real passion and emotion by some of the talented contestants. The house band strummed and plucked along together rhythmically throughout the night.

I enjoyed a lovely afternoon tea treat with five friends in the Four Seasons Hotel, which was very posh. For some reason I didn't feel out of place as I once may have done and enjoyed every minute. My last desert book club was great and I was presented with The Black Book of Arabia written by Sheika Hend Faisal Al Qassemi. Inscribed inside the front and back covers are kind messages from the group who have helped to keep me sane and encouraged me here. It is a very thoughtful gift and much appreciated. As was the afternoon tea, with the five flinging in extra cash to pay for me. How kind.

The annual Art Exhibition was a brilliant success despite being emotional due to our friend and colleague's noted absence. It was strange not to see him there, chatting to proud students and parents admiring the art. His presence was there in the paintings though. The plaque with his name on hangs upon a wall and his faithful service is remembered. So let us hope that his legacy will last and the Art Department continue to blossom and flourish through its future staff and students.

How excited and nervous was I finding myself flying home solo on Qatar Airways, for an interview for my dream job! The whole trip was a success from beginning to end as I saw my family, a couple of beloved friends and got the job. It's a maternity cover, full time educational teaching assistant post in Early Years. I hardly worried about Romeo and the kids, abandoning ship to fulfil my destiny.
Part of my interview preparation involved running through our empty home, up and down both flights of stairs, hugging and kissing the walls.

While I was finishing my timed written pieces, prior to the formal, four panel interview, MP Jo Cox was  tragically murdered in the same home county of West Yorkshire. A beautiful white rose crushed in her prime. I felt so terribly sad knowing that my new adventure was about to begin as her life was ending.

On the beach

We went to say farewell to our friends at Doha Athletics Club and then had a family trip to Souq Waqif, which was one of the first places we visited when we arrived in Qatar. We had parked in the underground car park and were just passing through the sliding doors when there was an incredibly loud explosive bang, sounding just like a bomb blast. Romeo jumped out of his skin, Mini- Me started crying while Dirtbag and I stood still in shock working out what to do. No one else around us seemed to be panicking so we carried on up the slope to the Souq. Then we saw the smoking cannon that had just been fired to mark Iftar that evening.

Fanar Islamic Centre

''The adventure was over soon, as always happened, they would be home, and all the wonder, the terror, and the excitement would be behind them. They were tired and content.''

From the opening chapter of The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke

Ongoing dialogues

Dirtbag: You don't understand I won't see these friends again, EVER!

Midlife crisis: I do understand.

Mini-Me: Can we come back at Christmas?

Midlife crisis: NO!

Romeo: I'm just doing a quick nine holes, see you later.

Midlife crisis: Dear God please help me.

There are lots of 'last' events going on and I hate saying goodbye because I usually always cry. A few tears fell on the last Hash, but being drowned in the bucketing with all the other leavers disguised the emotions well. However, at my last Dukhan church service I could not stop crying and found it hard to sing my favourite hymns. My tears are full of gratitude for the love, support and strength I have received from many here.

For those who have always stayed steadfast and true friends throughout my life so far, you know I love you. For those found in the desert, thank you for opening my eyes even wider to the many wonders and blessings of friendship in all its dimensions. Know that you will always be welcome to visit us should you find yourself in England's green and pleasant land.

Even though the decision has been made to leave, I continue to trust that the things which matter most will remain: faith, hope and love.

With Love,
Susie xx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E36_UiCiIxk

PS Watch out for my new blog, The Diary of a Northern Soul, (or something like that) coming to a screen near you soon.

Reading: www.castlehillschool.org.uk
Listening to: Written in Scars, album by Jack Savoretti (2015), Random Access Memories, album by Daft Punk (2013) and Glastonbury Song by The Waterboys (1993).
Singing: Destiny Calling by James and The Final Countdown by Europe.
Dancing: in the kitchen when I feel like it because we have sold the table and chairs.
Watched: The Social Network (2010), Spotlight (2015), The Lady in the Van (2015) and War of The Worlds, (2005).

No comments:

Post a Comment