Tuesday 24 March 2015

The Great Escape

I decide that the time has come. Boldly stating that I had a secret mission to accomplish I cycle off under the grey clouds. Seeing some dustbin men clearing rubbish along the wall makes me panic. What if they have got to him before me? I cycle even faster, hoping against hope, adrenaline pumping.
He's still there.
Gently I pick him up and shake off the sand. We smile at each other before I carefully place him in the plastic bag I brought for his journey. As soon as I start to pedal again large drops of water splash on me. Is he crying, am I? No, it's just the heavens declaring their response.This time I sing.

'' Here comes the rain again 
  falling on my head like a memory
 falling on my head like a new emotion''

When we get home the sun is shining. I hide him away for the rest of the day.
The storm arrives in the evening and I can't resist watching it from an open window. I flinch backwards every time lightning forks, eyes blinking.
He's safe now. Timing is everything.

The next day I carry out my premeditated plan and put him on a delicates wash but worry about him drowning in the suds. He survives, of course, coming out clean and fresh, smelling of Ariel perfume. I leave him alone for a while to adjust to his new surroundings and dry out from his dizzy spin in the machine. A couple of days later I summon up the courage to kiss him for the first time and notice he looks a bit pale. He may need some vitamins after all he's been through. For now I stuff him with an old flannel to lift his spirits before mending his torn trousers in lime green cotton with a simple blanket stitch. Now he looks as good as he can do after being abandoned, windswept, sunbleached, submerged, rained on, then finally rescued.
The boat remains tethered. I hope he likes his surprise.

I furtively place him in my small, silver suitcase among my special occasion underwear collection. He seemed quite happy to sleep there too as I didn't invite him to join us in the giant, white marshmallow soft bed. I had plenty to smile about using my new pink Oral-B vibrating toothbrush, subconsciously celebrating World Oral Health Day as I escaped into this brave new world for exactly 24 hours.



Here Comes The Rain Again
Eurythmics (1984)

No comments:

Post a Comment