Wednesday 18 February 2015

Valentine's Day

The Mid-Life Crisis Strikes Back - a monologue

It is around midday. Susie calmly creeps up and captures Ellie who has already cornered herself in a comfy red chair, bewitched by something on the computer. Susie catches Ellie stuffing three pieces of Lindt Creation Mousse au Chocolat DARK into her metal-filled mouth. Susie is beside herself with divine retribution.

A thoughtful aside: surely the wonderful chocolatiers Lindt & Sprungli should be paying me for advertising their products by now? And action!

Susie     Aha! You're not going to get fit eating that!

Ellie raises one eyebrow, her red earphones drowning out my gleefully delivered comment. In for a penny in for a pound, as they say. Deep breath before we begin our lightsaber duel.

Susie     You look like an orphan.

Help me, this strike has a far more negative impact upon the crisis than the poor dirtbag.
Ellie smirks a little, then grins. So she can hear me.

Susie     By the way, I love you.


While Romeo is at work (Saturday morning art class, very unusual?) and Mini-Me is entertaining himself, I make the first move. Grabbing romance in the palms of both hands, I gently squash and squeeze the mixture I've made, into a smooth ball. Carefully I roll it out, then firmly press the small cookie cutter into the dough, heart after heart after heart. Should I sprinkle some Middle Eastern promise onto the biscuits before baking them? Could Cupid's arrow shoot us again in our comfortably assumed marital positions?
He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not...........
Picking off the daisy petals in my head, I know that despite being wildly passionate about many other things, he does indeed love me a lot.

I enjoyed surprising my family with the multitude of melt-in-your-mouth cookies. Romeo also surprised me coming up trumps with a homemade card. It displays our photo-shopped fancy dressed faces, in front of a stunning desert sunset.
 
With love in my left ear and peace in my right, I whole-heartedly hoped that the ceasefire in the Ukraine would be properly observed. The gold, star-shaped, engraved earrings, painlessly pierce my ears but my soul is stabbed when yet more beheadings are carried out and I cry.

John Lennon sings Imagine to me in my head xx

No comments:

Post a Comment