Sunday 15 February 2015

Racing and Riding Along

I went to see some camel races in our very own car caravan convoy. The camels run around a sandy track with a remote-controlled robot strapped onto their humped backs. Owners control these robots from their Land Cruisers whilst driving alongside them on a purpose built road at high speeds hooting and tooting. We chose to chase camels by driving sensibly on the other spectator safe, purpose built road. It was quite bizarre.
One recent Friday morning Josh and I joined a larger group to cycle the Tour of Dukhan. The maximum distance of three laps within the compound added up to approximately 15km. I think he enjoys cycling just as much as I do. He whizzed off with his friends and I whirled around with mine.
The women's cycling Tour of Qatar finished their first stage at Dukhan beach so we obviously went to see this. Whilst we were waiting close to the finish line, helicopters buzzed overhead like gigantic dragonflies. Lizzie Armistead, a fellow West Yorkshire lass, won the whole Tour. I'm sure she will be riding in the first ever Tour de Yorkshire this May. The final stage of this three-day tour will pass through the lovely village of Cawthorne, home to the lovely folk singer, Kate Rusby. It will then whizz past the top of my much-loved street, Marsh Lane, Shepley before hurtling along into Marsden, home of my literary hero, Simon Armitage (I'm his Number One Fan but not in a Misery (1990) kind of way).
I want to go home!
The men's first stage of the Tour of Qatar brought Sir Bradley Wiggins to Dukhan, riding for Team Sky. He looked so small as I loomed manically next to him. I don't need too much encouragement to speak to 'famous' people, just a nudge in the right direction when finding myself in the right place at the right time. He was perched on the back of a support car so I sort of leaned against the back windscreen, slightly towards him for the photo shoot. He looked like a fragile lycra clad, blackbird, waiting to fly off. I wanted to pick him up and twirl him above my head like a baton or give him a fireman's lift around the car park. Anything to make him smile and inject some life into him. Maybe he too thought I was an illegal substance seller? It was probably due to the high level of female pheromones pulsing out of me, being surrounded by so many super fit men on super cool bikes. He didn't do too well throughout the Tour, but I'm not blaming myself for that.
The winds picked up again and started swirling the sand around for the primary school sports day. It resembled a desert army boot camp survival exercise - for the teachers anyway! The kids were all hyper, laughing, running, jumping, throwing, all the while inhaling dust and sand into their happy little souls. One of the senior school Qatari boys I worked with as a Teaching Assistant saw me and said ''I miss you, miss,'' filling me with that warm fuzzy feeling and reminding me of how we may all affect many people positively, without always realising it.
It was National Sports Day the next day when everyone gets a day off to do something sporty. Winds were even stronger, so many outdoor activities were cancelled. The ensuing disappointment reminded me of the start of many cricket seasons in England when at least four consecutive matches would have to be cancelled due to relentless downpours.


 '' Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you,''

                                                          Crowded House
                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment