Tuesday 22 September 2015

Riders on the Storm

Dramatically the heavens responded to the mournful lyrics from Missing as thunder, lightning, lashing rain and apocalyptic sandstorms blasted the country while we were out at sea. The cruiser yacht was every playboy's paradise, complete with luxury bedrooms, showers, toilets and a small galley. I had braved the bikini and it was the closest I will ever get to feeling like a Bond girl (although I'd rather be one of Charlie's Angels). Not quite up to Halle Berry's standard but not caring too much either, I dived into the sea head first as the thunder started to rumble all around us. We were a motley crew celebrating a 30th birthday. How wonderful the youth of today are, inviting a midlife crisis and her Romeo to tag along. A few of us floated cheerfully around together in the salt solution. Watching the lightning crack its whip we inevitably discussed our chances of survival if we got struck.
'Let's get out now!'

Safely back on deck we relaxed, chatted, ate, put the sunglasses away as it was gloomy and continued to watch the perfect storm. On the horizon, Doha Skyline loomed menacingly surreal like Gotham City. Great forks of lightning flashed over the other buildings nearby where dirtbag was staying! After a while, a strange calm suddenly crept over the water and it felt intensely hot, humid and sticky for about five minutes. Then a cold wind whipped up the waves and spun us around on the mooring. Large raindrops started splashing down and exploding onto our bodies, raising hundreds of goosebumps to the skin's surface. It was brilliant! Meanwhile, our compound was being engulfed by a giant wall of doom filled sand, turning the sky orange, ravaging the homes and gardens. Mini-Me was tucked away safely inside at his friend's house. Both kids told us later that they were worried about us being out on the boat. Wow, they do care about us. Driving back after the storm we were directed off-road as it had become a lake, the desert no longer missing the rain.

But I can still miss you, can't I?

For arts sake who could possibly think that it is OK for a father to teach his own teenage daughter? This could cause a permanent rift in their relationship that even Araldite can't fix. Guess who will be left picking up the many potential pieces of a creative fallout?
Help me! Like the poet Stevie Smith, I am 'not waving but drowning.'
Huge gasp and cry. The wonderful news of my nephew safely entering the world helps me breathe again and fills me with hope. He's perfect.

It still amuses me how ideas begin to form in my mind. A theme pops up and one thing leads to another, as it always does, making sense to me anyway.
My constant stream of consciousness (Oh no, not that again).
I hope it at least makes you smile and at best laugh out loud.

Listening to The Best of The Doors whilst baking a cake last week, I don't have any unusual ingredients to add, just carrots, flour, sugar, eggs and oil. Thinking about Mr. Mojo Risin' (his own apt anagram) and how he would have certainly been a terrible influence on me if our paths had crossed. Surely I would have fallen under his spell for a while. He died so young, four months before I was born. Was it all worth it Jim?

If things are tough for you just now keep on walking steadily forward overcoming the barriers in your path. Someone or something will help to pull you safely through the other side.

Another force was sorry to tell me that the official video was unavailable. So just listen carefully when you have time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3BMz8qSXI


Not Waving but Drowning by Stevie Smith (1957)

Listening: to The Best of The Doors (1985)
Watched: the film The Doors (1991)    
Reading: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Dancing: to Fine China by Chris Brown or The Other Side by Jason Derulo on Just Dance (2014). I've nearly got all the classic moves 'perfect' now. It's so much fun, you try it. Google it, go on, do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment