Sunday 24 May 2015

Spa Class


Spa Class

''Mirror, mirror on the wall
who is the most stressed of all?''

First skin step is to cleanse:
wipe off the daily grime
stroking upwards, choking,
cotton wool pads absorbing my make-up mask,
skin shining, light-bulb luminous.

The surface reveals
what the heart usually feels
a face that's weathered many storms:
furrowed brow, 
farmers tracks ploughed
between bushy eyebrows,
yellowing white in corners of eyes resting on
purple, puffy pillows,
freckles, moles, faint moustache grows.

Second skin step is to tone:
using the cool refreshing fluid
dare I go deeper
take another layer off myself?
Analyse, memorise.

I see the time I punched a bully in the chin
and shook.
The first boy I tongue kissed under a coat,
grief-stricken tears when Grandma died.

I hear you and me begin to be,
laughing, talking, walking free.
Time together, time apart
yearning, learning, relationship art.

I feel the contraction that came so quick,
half searching down the toilet
feeling sick,
as I tremblingly flushed our baby away
while you both slept, I wept
alone and wept.
Then forced myself to phone NHS Direct.

Third skin step to use a mask:
feel it tighten, maybe crack
as it covers little fissures, bumps and hollows
like a hippo I wallow,
can't eat, can't speak, can just about breathe.

Step four to nourish and moisturise:
relax and shut my eyes.

What lies ahead I do not know
the map is written
I just follow.
Calming cream fills my open pores
as time heals many wounds and sores.
Skin will get thinner with age, I'm told,
my map gets bigger as life unfolds.

''You, my princess are most precious of all
no need to worry, I'm here when you fall.
You are not perfect, 
I don't think that you should
use mirrors to check that you are good,
understood?''



Originally written in 2009, reworked in 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment