Monday 16 January 2012

Safety & Cycling

As Qatar send troops into Syria I gaily wander through the days here feeling as though I am in a huge bubble of bubble wrap, safe and sound. Occasionally I pinch myself really hard and remember I am in the middle of the Middle East living on a gas field. We are a protected peninsula, our neighbours troubled by their constant conflict. The Emergency Evacuation notice on the front door of our building instructs us to go to the security gate of the compound upon hearing the siren (which we did during a siren test in the holidays). Thinking of health and safety what noxious gases do I inhale whilst cycling around like Miss Hubbard in Greendale, whizzing past Postman Pat? As I slice through an invisible sulphur screen smelling of rotting eggs, it gags in my throat. I pass miles of bending white pipes carrying their precious product, blood pumps through my veins while I pedal. Let's have a race, blood versus gas.
I won't get to see the London Olympics live this year but every day I see the eternal flames of the gas burners, making the days even warmer and the nights brighter. Like gigantic candles on this dry and barren crumbled cake of a desert dessert. Note to new year dieters, stressed spelled backwards = desserts.
Only one steep hill to challenge me here, up to the jebel where the flag flies or lies depending on the wind. It is our landmark here as Emley Moor Mast is there. When the wind blows it does remind me of home, cycling my roller coaster hills, exhilarating and beautiful. In my mind I smell grass and manure, drink rain and hail, splatter through muddy puddles. Push pant, push pant, the labour of hard exercise. Breathing deeper to pass the whirring windmills, wave to the farmer, baa to the sheep, sing to myself on top of the world.
You could say I wear my heart on my sleeve but when I went for a recent interview I also wore it around my wrist in the form of a delicate silver bracelet. The tiny diamond in the heart sparkling confidence, a lovely gift from a dear friend. Who could not be dazzled by such a charm?  I proudly claim "the job is mine" as if I were Gollum from The Lord of the Rings. After a ten year career break I will be rewarded in Qatari Riyals for my services to the community here as a Teaching Assistant. I will endeavour to keep blogging but unfortunately will have to put the golf lessons on the back burner for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment